top of page



With multiple housing options based on the Veteran’s unique situation, the VIC has choices for Veterans and their families who are literally and on the verge of homelessness to end the cycle immediately.

Transitional Housing 

Located in Albuquerque, the Veterans Integration Centers (VIC) Transitional Housing Program provides housing for up to one (1) year that enables Veterans or Veteran families to build an achievable plan leading to  stable housing and financial independence.

Our program also is unique to New Mexico in that we also are able to support Veteran families (up to 4) in a fully supportive living environment that allows families to remain housed together. So many times programs do not take into account the trauma which separating families can cause. As Veterans, we know no one serves alone and we will support Veteran families regardless of the difficulties they face.

Funded in large part by the US Department of Veteran Affairs Grant & Per Diem (GPD) Program, our Transitional Housing program is a true collaboration and model of community partnership that shows the need for nonprofits to work with other organizations in solving homelessness effectively. Case management teams work with over 100 community partners to ensure that Veterans, and their families, receive the necessary supportive services to improve their lives and gain their new found independence.

Transitional Housing FAQs

Can I apply for transitional housing if I plan to move to another state? 

Yes, you can. The goal of Transitional housing is get you off the streets, work on the challenges that made you homeless, and prepare to move into stable and permanent housing. Sometimes this may be in other places where you might have a family support system or other resources. Our team can help you make those plans and possibly connect you with other programs in that area. Our goal is to ensure you have a stable plan that ensures you housing stability no matter what your situation.

Are your units ADA accessible?

We do have ADA accessible apartments for those in need. Please let your staff member know during your interview.


Do you provide internet access? 

We do have WiFi access for our Veterans and computers for you to use, with restrictions. We encourage clients to access the local library, but recognize that there are times when it is not possible.

Curfew, why and when?

There is a curfew of 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 10 p.m. Friday, Saturday and holidays. This is in place for your safety, as well as accountability. It is not expected that clients be in bed at curfew, but must be on property when night checks are done by our Monitor Team.

Does my discharge affect my eligibility?

We are able to accept Veterans with any type of discharge EXCEPT dishonorable.

What disabilities can I have and still access the program?

The VIC will accept Veterans with all types of disabilities, as long as you can still care for yourself and perform all Activities of Daily Living (ADL) including bathing and grooming, dressing and undressing, meal preparation and feeding, transferring, safe restroom use and maintaining continence. The VIC does not provide any form of medication management or skilled nursing services.

How much stuff can I bring with me?

Because the Transitional Housing program does require clients to share rooms, you are limited to bringing 2 large suitcases. All belongings will be searched upon enrollment, and you are not allowed to have weapons, illegal drugs or paraphernalia, pornography, or medications that are not prescribed to you. These items will be confiscated and held for you until you exit our programs.

Do I have to do community service or pay for the services? 

Our programs are made to provide a “hand up”, not a “hand out”. All Residents have a Community Service obligation that is dependent on your unique situation. Some Residents may have a small participation fee, but this is also dependent on your unique situation. If you have NO income, that is fine too. You do not need to pay to stay in our programs.

Can I have a pet?

The only animals allowed in program are service animals (dogs), as recognized by the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). The Veteran will need to provide proof of vaccines for the animal, or be prepared to obtain them within 30 days of enrollment. If the animal poses a threat to anyone else in the program it will not be allowed to stay. The Veteran will be required to keep the animal on a leash, under control, and with you at all times as a service animal. You will also be required to clean up after the animal.

Will I have roommates? 

Everyone has a roommate in our program. Battle Buddies are an essential part of our programs. You will be assigned an apartment, with up to 2 roommates, and will work together to maintain the unit that has a full kitchen, bathroom and living room.

Will you find me housing?

The VIC’s Transitional Housing program provides temporary, safe and supportive housing while Veterans work on other struggles that led to the homelessness. Once ready, the Veteran will work with our team to locate adequate permanent housing in the community. We work with many providers throughout the state, including having a Housing Specialist on staff that can work to address barriers to permanent housing like evictions or bad credit.

Can I smoke in my room?

Transitional Housing does allow smoking on property. But it must be done outside of the apartments at designated areas. There is no smoking inside the apartments or on the porch/deck/patio.

Is alcohol use allowed?

Drugs or alcohol use is not allowed while in the Transitional Housing Program, while on or off property. The VIC can and does require pre-entrance and random Breathalyzer and Drug testing.

Can I use marijuana in the program?

There is no drug or alcohol use of any kind allowed while enrolled in the program. This includes medical marijuana. While medical marijuana is legal in New Mexico, the VIC receives federal funding, and the federal government does not recognize medical marijuana as a legal drug at this time.

Can I enroll if I have a family?

Our program accepts legally married spouses of any gender, including minor children under the legal guardianship of either spouse. The client receiving services must be an eligible Veteran.

How long is the program?

The Transitional Housing (TH) program can provide housing for 3 months and up to one year, although most clients graduate to independent housing after 6 to 9 months.

Do you have to be Active Duty?

Certain programs may require active duty service to be eligible. We have multiple programs that have different service requirements. Speak with one of our Outreach Specialists to see if you qualify.

I don't have my DD214 or ID, can you help me get it? 

We can absolutely help you get your DD214, birth certificate, VA ID, or other form of ID. Sometimes this is a quick process, but sometimes it is more lengthy. We will help you with the process even if you don’t qualify for or chose to participate in the Transitional Housing program.

Do I qualify for transitional housing if I don't qualify for VA healthcare?

The Veteran does not have to qualify for VA healthcare to qualify for Transitional housing. But you will be required to go to the VA to register, and will have to interview with our VA Liaison as part of the enrollment process, if accepted.

I don't have a VA card or a DD214 or any state ID, can I still get services?

Yes. Our staff will help you get a DD214 replaced, and can direct you on where to go for enrollment at the VA hospital, if you’re not currently enrolled. We may be able to help verify your Veteran status to establish eligibility. You won’t be turned away for services!

How to Apply 

Veterans may submit a self-referral, be referred by the VA Medical Center or other service providers in the community to be considered for admission. Veterans can fill out a Transitional Housing Application and email the completed application to: or fax to: 505-332-8092.

Questions regarding admission or the status of an application can be directed to the Transitional Housing program intake Specialist at 505-265-0512.

bottom of page